Friday, April 07, 2006

Kinda OT (off topic) but kinda not!

Ok, I was reading my friends blog My Mothers Fault and she was talking about a thermostat problem with her DH. I love to stay warm, but I'm energy concious so I try to keep the thermostat warmer at night and lower during the day time, when we are not always in the house. That helps keep your electricity or gas bill low. But what she was talking about was the fact that her DH insisted on keeping the thermostat at 58 degrees no matter what. That's really cold. The recomendation is around 65 during the day and 75 at night. Don't quote me on that, though. That's what I do. But there can be health problems if you are constantly cold. For some reason, my body temperature is slightly more elevated than a "normal" person, therefore I feel the extreme in change of temperature. I'm often sweating when people are shivering and vice-versa. My doctor had recommended wearing heavier clothes during cold weather to avoid getting the extreme changes. Just the other day I was sitting at my computer and my hands were freezing despite the fireplace roaring. Everyone else in the household was sweating and I had the chills.

Just remember that when you experience major temperature changes that you don't go from one extreme to the other. Example, it is snowing outside and you have the heater on full blast in the car, warm enough that you are in your tshirt and pants without the jacket and scarf and hat. Even if you bundle up right before you get out of the car, the extreme change in temperature can affect your breathing and your throat. The same can happen with having your air conditioner on and the weather blazing hot outside. I speak from experience, and I have gotten sick enough times to realize that layering in the winter is better than blasting the heat and getting sick from the extreme temperature change!

No comments:

Post a Comment